MET Labs' extensive environmental and EMC capabilities can be put to good use for testing the performance and reliability of vehicle and tractor/trailer electronic components to climatic, dynamic, and electrical environments from natural and vehicle-induced sources, and to meet the homologation needs for this globally produced and marketed product.
In addition to utilizing modern 5 and 10m chambers for automotive testing, MET operates a state-of-the-art reverberation (mode-stirred) chamber for test programs that can benefit from low power amps with super elevated field strength.
MET can test to MIL-STD, SAE, IEC, DIN, ASTM and FCC standards and European Directive 95/54/EC (72/245/EEC) or ECE Regulation No.10.
Also, MET is an active member of OmniAir Certification Services and DoT Vehicle Awareness Device Program. Read about testing MET did as part of this Program in August 2011 and November 2011.
Get a quote for Automotive Testing.
Standards that MET tests to include:
- SAE J1455 - Joint SAE/TMC Recommended Environmental Practices for Electronic Equipment Design (Heavy-Duty Trucks)
- SAE J1113-2 - Conducted Immunity, 15 Hz to 250 kHz - All Leads
- SAE J1113-4 - Bulk Current Injection (BCI) Method
- SAE J1113-11 - Immunity to Conducted Transients on Power Leads
- SAE J1113-13 - Immunity to Electrostatic Discharge
- SAE J1113-21 - Electromagnetic Compatibility Measurement Procedure for Vehicle Components Part 21: Immunity to Electromagnetic Fields, 10 kHz to 18 GHz, Absorber-Lined Chamber)
- SAE J1113-22 - Electromagnetic Compatibility Measurement Procedure for Vehicle Components-Part 22-Immunity to Radiated Magnetic Fields From Power Lines
- SAE J1113-26 - Immunity to AC Power Line Electric Fields
- SAE J1113-27 - Immunity to Radiated Electromagnetic Fields - Mode Stir Reverberation Method
- SAE J1113-41 - Limits and Methods of Measurement of Radio Disturbance Characteristics of Components and Modules for the Protection of Receivers Used On-Board Vehicles
- SAE J1113-42 - Conducted Transient Emissions
- EN 55025 - Vehicles, Boats and Internal Combustion Engines. Radio Disturbance Characteristics. Limits and Methods of Measurement for the Protection of On-Board Receivers
MET has a special competency in testing electric vehicles and EV charging stations. MET has tested both the North American and UK Tesla Roadster. Tests are in accordance with the European Automotive Directive, including Radiated Emissions and Immunity testing, and for SAE J551-5: Performance Methods of Measurement of Magnetic and Electric Field Strength from Electric Vehicles. The Tesla vehicle is a unique, completely-electric sports car.
Automotive Directive 95/54/EC
The Automotive Directive, 95/54/EC's scope includes all electrical and electronic equipment intended for use in vehicles. Any device which is solely within the scope of 95/54/EC is outside the scope of the generic EMC Directive (89/336/EEC). The only approval mark for automotive equipment that provides freedom of movement across Europe is the automotive type approval "e" mark.
MET can help electronic component manufacturers for the automotive industry obtain e-mark or E-mark approval according to the automotive directive 95/54/EC (72/245/EEC) or ECE Regulation No.10.
The approval process for e-mark or E-mark starts after the client provides relevant documentation and test samples for assessment and testing:
- MET carries out testing on samples in accordance with the Automotive Directive (Radiated immunity and Emissions).
- MET arranges the submission of all test reports/technical documentation to the Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA).
- VCA issues a type approval certificate, subject to a satisfactory review of the submitted documents and Conformity of Production (CoP) assessment.
- Client can affix e-mark on the product after receiving approval number from VCA.
Many of the auto manufacturers have developed EMC and electrical test specifications tailored to their test approach. MET has the systems and methods necessary to conduct these tests.
BMW 600 13.0 - Electric/Electronic components in cars
BMW GS 95002 - Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) Requirements and Tests
BMW GS 95003-2 - Electric/Electronic assemblies in motor vehicles
Chrysler PF 9326 - Electrical electronic modules and motors
FORD FORD EMC-CS-2009 - Electromagnetic compatibility specification for electrical/electronic components and subsystems
GMW3097GS- Radiated Emissions - Reverb Method
Toyota TSC7001G - Engineering Standard (electric noise of electronic devices)
Toyota TSC7001G-5.1 - Power Supply Voltage Characteristic Test
Toyota TSC7001G-5.2 - Field Decay Test
Toyota TSC7001G-5.3 - Floating Ground Test
Toyota TSC7001G-5.4 - Induction Noise Resistance
Toyota TSC7001G-5.5.3 - Load Dump Test-1
Toyota TSC7001G-5.5.4 - Load Dump Test-2
Toyota TSC7001G-5.5.5 - Load Dump Test-3
Toyota TSC7001G-5.6 - Over Voltage Test
Toyota TSC7001G-5.7.3 - Ignition Pulse (Battery Waveforms) Test-1
Toyota TSC7001G-5.7.4 - Ignition Pulse (Battery Waveforms) Test-2
Toyota TSC7001G-5.8 - Reverse Voltage
Toyota TSC7006G-4.4.2 - Wide Band-Width Antenna Nearby Test (0.4 to 2 GHz)
Toyota TSC7006G-4.4.3 - Radio Equipment Antenna nearby Test
Toyota TSC7006G-4.4.4 - Mobile Phone Antenna Nearby Test
Toyota TSC7018G - Static Electricity Test
Toyota TSC7025G-5 - TEM Cell Test (1 to 400 MHz)
Toyota TSC7025G-6 - Free Field Immunity Test (20 MHz to 1 GHz AM, 0.8 to 2 GHz PM)
Toyota TSC7025G-7 - Strip Line Test (20 - 400 MHz)
Toyota TSC7026G-3.4 - Narrow Band Emissions
Toyota TSC7203G - Voltage Drop / Micro Drops
Toyota TSC7508G-3.3.1 - Conductive Noise in FM and TV Bands
Toyota TSC7508G-3.3.2 - Conductive noise in LW, AM and SW Bands
Toyota TSC7508G-3.3.3 - Radiated Noise in FM and TV Bands
Toyota TSC7508G-3.3.4 - Radiated Noise in AM, SW, and LW Bands
Toyota TSC7203G - Engineering standard (ABS-TRC computers)
Toyota TXC7315G - Electrostatic Discharge (Gap Method)
Volkswagen VW TL 801 01 - Electric and Electronic Components in Cars
Volkswagen VW TL 820 66 - Conducted Interference
Volkswagen VW TL 821 66 - EMC Requirements of Electronic Components - Bulk Current Injection (BCI)
Volkswagen VW TL 823 66 - Coupled Interference on Sensor Cables
Volkswagen VW TL 824 66 - Immunity Against Electrostatic Discharge
Volkswagen VW TL 965 - Short-Distance Interference Suppression
Get a quote for Automotive Testing.
Some of MET’s Automotive Testing customers: