The nation's first NRTL, MET Labs is a leading provider of listing and labeling solutions for non-certified equipment, with a well-deserved reputation for being responsive and easy to work with.
MET is a highly-regarded resource for electrical inspection agencies within the United States and Canada to assure compliance of unlabeled equipment in the field. Field evaluations are performed throughout North America from MET's strategically-located Inspection Centers to support the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ).
Equipment that does not bear a label from a third party product safety testing laboratory may present hazards such as:
- Mechanical Hazards
- Energy Hazards
- Chemical Hazards
- Radiation Hazards
The requirements for listing or labeling equipment are not only a local requirement, but a U.S. federal requirement under the workplace guidelines promulgated by OSHA. This rule is contained in 29CFR, Part 1910.303.
Here is how MET responds to a field inspection request:
- We take your call or quickly respond to your email.
- The Authority Having Jurisdiction is notified.
- The field evaluation is performed on equipment to assess the hazards in accordance with the U.S. standard or the Canadian standard for the specific category of equipment.
- MET will explain what modifications are needed – if any – to bring the equipment into compliance with the inspection requirements.
- Once the equipment is determined to be compliant with the requirements, the final report will be issued quickly.
- A copy of the inspection report is provided to the AHJ for the necessary approval in accordance with the requirement of the N.E.C./C.E.C.
- A serialized MET label is affixed to the equipment after it is determined the product complies with the standard.
Founded in 1959, MET Laboratories provides testing and certification for United States, Canadian and international markets, and has top-notch qualifications:
- U.S.'s first Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL) for Product Safety Certification
- SCC-accredited as an Inspection Body for Product Safety in Canada
- National Certification Body (NCB) for Global Product Safety
- Experience in on-site claim substantiation and failure evaluation
MET's field inspection services are fully compliant to NFPA 790, Standard for Competency of Third-Party Field Evaluation Bodies and NFPA 791, Recommended Practice and Procedures for Unlabeled Electrical Equipment Evaluation. In addition, MET is accredited by the Standards Council of Canada to act as an inspection body for product safety field inspections in Canada, to assess electrical equipment to SPE-1000-09 - Model code for the field evaluation of electrical equipment.
For more information, contact Jim McDonald, Field Services Sales Representative, by email or phone: 410.949.1925
Read more about MET's Sign Shop Program for electric sign manufacturers.
Find out more about MET's Control Panel Shop Program.
MET is available to present an on-site Electrical Product Safety Seminar. This seminar provides assistance and guidelines for site owners and operators, with updates on the requirements of the NEC as they relate to mandatory equipment certification, and includes coverage of other primary issues related to uncertified equipment in the field.
A request for MET Laboratories' Product Safety Seminar to be given at your facility should be sent to Jim McDonald.
Assurer la conformité de l'équipement non marqué sur terrain.
Some of MET's Field Testing customers:
Air Products and Chemicals
“On Monday afternoon, we learned that equipment we were moving had to be certified. MET arrived the next morning. We were able to maintain production with minimal disruptions, ensuring that we could continue to meet and exceed customer commitments.”