Military Fiber Optics
MET is one of the few laboratories on the East Coast approved by Defense Center Supply Columbus to perform testing and qualification of fiber optic components for military applications.
MET Labs is the clear choice for MIL-STD fiber optics testing due to:
- Expert engineering staff
- Millions of dollars worth of state-of-the-art fiber optic component test and measurement equipment
- Substantial, environmentally-controlled laboratory space
- Close proximity to the main military and government organizations and contractors such as Navy, NASA, John Hopkins Applied Physics Lab, etc.
- Optical measurement and characterization
- Environmental and chemical
- Biological (fungus)
- Mechanical (vibration, shock, etc)
MET has been granted DSCC commercial laboratory suitability status for the following standards:
- MIL-STD-202 Test Method Standard, Electronic and Electrical Component Parts
Test Specifications: Temperature Life as per Method 108
- EIA-455-21 Mating Durability of Fiber Optic Interconnecting Devices
Testing Specifications: Mating Durability
- MIL-STD-810 Test Method Standard, Environmental Engineering Considerations and Laboratory Tests
Testing Specifications: Testing Specifications Pressure Altitude as per Method 500
- MIL-STD-1344 Test Methods for Electrical Connections
Test Specifications: Shock, Electromagnetic Effects, and Tensile Loading as per Method 2009
- MIL-I-24728 General Specification for Interconnection Box, Fiber Optic, Metric
Test Specifications: Thermal Shock, Temperature Life, Temperature Humidity Cycling, Operating Temperature, Vibration, Shock, Water Pressure (spraytight), Salt Spray, Fluid Immersion, Fungus Resistance, Magnetic Permeability, Visual and Mechanical Inspection, Mass and Size, Identification Markings
- MIL-PRF-28876 General Specification for Connectors, Fiber Optic, Circular, Plug and Receptacle Style, Multiple Removable Termini
- MIL-PRF-29504 General Specification for Termini, Fiber Optic Connector, Removable
- MIL-PRF-49291 General Specification for Fiber, Optical, (Metric)
Test Specifications: Temperature Cycling, Temperature Humidity Cycling
- MIL-C-83522 General Specification for Connectors, Fiber Optic, Single Terminus
- MIL-DTL-83526 General Specification for Connectors, Fiber Optic, Circular, Environmental Resistant, Hermaphroditic
Test Specifications: Ambient Light Susceptibility
- MIL-PRF-85045 General Specification for Cables, Fiber Optics, (Metric)
Test Specifications: Crosstalk, Temperature Cycling, Temperature Humidity Cycling, Storage Temperature, Thermal Shock, Weathering, Fungus Resistance, Life Aging
Note: MET is always open to new programs via sponsorship. Please inquire about other test opportunities and the benefits that come with sponsoring MET Laboratories.
MET performs fiber optic component and cable testing in accordance with many SAE standards such as:
- AS5382 – Fiber Optics cable
- AS5675 – Cable assemblies
- MA 5405 – Splices
- AS 5590 – Connectors
“I wanted to send you an email to thank you for the great support over the last year. As I showed you during your visit in December, our growth as a company has propelled us into larger programs of record, resulting in an increased responsibility for MPS to meet stringent testing requirements for environmental and safety.
Thanks again for establishing a candid professional relationship – your support in achieving our testing requirements is greatly appreciated.”
Joshua Korson, RF/Optical Systems Engineer
Microwave Photonic Systems, Inc.